Creative homeschooling: Tools to enhance learning
Today I’m sharing eight reasons we love hands on learning with tools to enhance learning and make homeschooling fun. We’ve been homeschooling for many years now and from the beginning, we decided to use the opportunity to pursue individual interests and to get out and explore the world around us.
For us, it has led to fun time with kitchen learning, travel, parks and museum exploration, many hands on projects, life skills and many wonderful adventures! It has even led us to create our own Wildlife Adventures Unit Studies that share such projects and ideas, incorporate multiple subjects and allows for teaching multiple ages together.
The whole idea behind this hands on learning lifestyle, for us, is to teach our children to love learning, to help them learn to think independently and to enjoy this time together as we prepare them to go forward to conquer the world on their own.
Why is Creative Homeschooling like this Important?
There are so many reasons why I love this style of homeschooling but there are a few reasons that might resonate with you and inspire you to do some exploring yourself.
- God has created us in His image – and He IS the ULTIMATE Creative being!
- Exploring God’s creation in this way – helps your family understand and know their Creator better.
- It provides the opportunity to explore individual interests – when your children are invested in this way in their own learning, it means more to them. They take ownership of their education.
- The time we have with our children is fleeting, this lifestyle allows you to make the most of the time you have together.
- Self-esteem soars when children are given a chance to create, and explore while forming their own ideas and opinions.
- It is the best way to prepare them to succeed in life.
- It helps to instill a love for learning.
- Hands on Learning is more fun, more interesting and more effective!
Using Tools to enhance learning
We’ve discussed WHY I believe so strongly in this style of learning – so now I want to share some of our favorite tools to enhance learning. Some of our favorite, tried and true “tools of the trade” are the ones that get kids excited about learning right off the bat.
Become an explorer!
- Magnifying Glass
- Art Book
- Art Kit
- Fossil kit (or other hands on learning kits)
- Field guide or bird books
One tool which we use regularly is our Adventure Binoculars! There is something special about looking through the lenses to see up close and personal into the habitat of a bird or other animal we are studying. It turns everyday exploring into an adventure.
We make an adventure out of searching for, learning about, and collecting fossils. Mostly, here in southwest Florida – we find a variety of fossilized sharks teeth (which we now sell in a kit). Our fossils come from kayaking expeditions and beach combing along the Gulf of Mexico and in the Peace River.
We love the fossil books created by Dr Gary and Mary Parker in their Wonders of Creation series. Fortunately for us, we live near enough to the Parker’s, that we have been able to attend their classes and participated in fossil digging adventures with their expertise! Field trips like those are an amazing experience and an important part of the hands on learning homeschool adventure.
While not everyone has access to places to dig for fossils, you can make your own adventure with the hands on learning kits. If you are interested in taking the Creation Adventure Classes with Dr Parker go here to learn more.
One way or another, I hope you will take this cue to throw a backpack together (every explorer has one) and to get out and explore God’s beautiful creation!