Favorite September Holidays for Homeschool Fun
We love to use National holidays for homeschool fun – these are some of our favorite September Holidays. I find it a great way to inspire my boys to dig in and enjoy learning. There are always a variety of topics to choose from. Some holidays are wacky and fun, like Cheese Pizza Day and Chocolate Milk Shake Day, while others have a more obvious educational value.
- 2 VJ Day WWII (official signing of docs for Japan surrender – Victory over Japan Day)
- 4 National Wildlife Day
- 5 Cheese Pizza Day
- 7 Labor Day
- 8 International Literacy Day
- 11 911 Remembrance – Patriot Day
- 12 Chocolate Milk Shake Day
- 13 Grandparents Day the first Sunday after Labor Day
- 13 Rosh Hashanah – Jewish New Year begins at sundown
- 15 Make a Hat Day
- 16 Collect Rocks Day; Mexican Independence Day; National Play Doh Day
- 17 Constitution Day
- 21 International Peace Day (UN); Miniature Golf Day
- 22 Yom Kippur
- 23 Autumnal Equinox
- 25 Native American Day the fourth Friday of the month
- 26 National Hunting and Fishing Day ; 26 Johnny Appleseed Day
- 28 National Good Neighbor Day
- 30 National Mud Pack Day
How-to Homeschool with Holidays
When we began our homeschool journey – it didn’t take long to figure out that sitting at a desk or table for several hours every day was simply not going to work for us. Going from subject to subject, checking off a list as we tried to re-create school at home, was a painful experience.
Using topics, like holidays is a great way to put some fun into your homeschool & to get kids away from the desk or table to enjoy some true hands on learning! Getting out from behind the desk does not mean the educational value is “lesser” than that of the desk crowd . . . . but actually offers the opportunity to provide a richer learning experience.
Ideas for Everyday Exploring with Holidays
- Choose your topic of interest
- Research topic online to find pictures, videos, and create a lesson based on the topic
- Be creative – for instance: Cheese Pizza Day is on Sept. 5 – while you can certainly make a fun day out of making your own dough and baking a pizza, you could take it further and do a geography study on Italy, create your own Leaning Tower of Pisa, color a map, pull out spelling words, have students read out loud and do a notebooking page. You could have them get books from the library about famous Italians to do a biography. See our National Lasagna Day here for our FREE mini-unit on Italy!
- Think outside the box. Whether you are exploring Native American Day & creating simple bows and arrows with supplies you have on hand, or delivering hand written thank you notes to local fire fighters and police officers in honor of Patriots Day and Remembering 9/11, the creative opportunities to influence the heart & lives of your children on a much deeper level is endless.
You might even find that you can instill a life-long love of learning!
Resources for Homeschool Studies
You can create your own unit studies with a bit of research and some creative thinking. You may want to use a guide – like this Delightful Planner from Ben and Me. The terrific thing about this resource is that you purchase it once, and use it time and time again to customize your homeschool plans to suite the individual needs of your students. We love creating our own studies, and it has led to an awesome experience in our Adventure Homeschool!
If you prefer to have most of the heavy lifting done for you – or if you find you have little time to do the research needed to create these enriching educational activities – you’ve come to the right place! We have several resources that we’ve developed through our own homeschool studies to share with you.
- Adventure Homeschool provides loads of wonderful FREEBIES (check the site regularly as we share new FREE material 1-3 times every week)
- We have created Wildlife Adventures Unit Studies – extremely affordable, packed full of fun hands on learning activities, made for the whole family to enjoy together, covering everything you need for homeschooling – but math.
- New Program – Online Interactive Homeschool Lessons – launching soon, pre-order to save a bundle on this easy to access family homeschool program! Only $15 for the year – upon launch, in November, the price will be $45 for the family.
Be sure to check back daily this month as we share fun and exciting materials you can use to homeschool the holidays! If you are a new homeschooling family – it is a great way to learn how to dig in to some REAL learning that your kids will not only enjoy, but will retain.
Make the most of your back yard explorations and field trips too! These free birds and backyard creatures notebooking pages will add a colorful and fun resource the kids will love. We use them with clip boards and a pencil to carry on a nature walk and turn everyday exploring into a rich homeschool experience.
Download our brand new mix of notebooking pages. 12 total pages for your homeschool & to cover a variety of topics.
See sample pages below:
Enter your email for our newsletter to download these pages immediately! Single opt-in, no confirmation just enter & click to download now.